Here are some of Ms. Bird's 5th grade students completing their summative assessment last week, which measured their ability to put the solfege syllables "ti, do, re, and mi," on the staff. Students were able to remember the saying "If do is on a line, then mi is on the line above it." To the contrary, we also learned, "If do is on a space, then mi is on a space above it." Students then related re and ti to do to figure out the answers. This standard is Georgia Music GPS M5GM.3c, "Read melodies which include low sol, low la, do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, and high do, within a treble staff."
There will be NO 4th grade Orff next week! I apologize for the inconvenience.
Second grade practiced singing the call and response song, "Pizza Pizza Daddy-O," and making the solfege from the beggining of the song on a music staff. The students diagrammed "so so mi la so mi," on their staves.
Please don't forget to review the verses of "Oh, Susannah!" before music class next week. We all need a review of the lyrics, to be sure to have them accurate. Practices have begun this week, during morning work, for special parts. Thank you, thir
Ms. Yen and I invite you to click on the link above, and discover what your child is learning in music class here at Roswell North. On page 52 the breakdown of the elementary General Music standards begin. The ten Georgia Music GPS for ALL grades are:
1) Playing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
2) Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
3) Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments
4) Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines
5) Reading and notating music
6) Listening to , analyzing, and describing music
7) Evaluating music and music performances
8) Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts
9) Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
10) Moving, alone and with others, to a varied repertoire of music
We look forward to exposing your child to musical knowledge that helps them foster a life long appreciation of music
General Music Specialist